Recipe by Annz Recipez
This is a lovely rich-tasting ice cream for coffee lovers. The recipe is a smaller batch sized to freeze nicely in the smaller, 20-minute ice cream makers. Preparation time includes time to chill the mixture before freezing in an ice cream maker. The portion size is small, so adjust accordingly for people who like a large bowl of ice cream.
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee granules or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 cup Kahlua
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, mix whipping cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and coffee granules. Heat, stirring frequently, until coffee granules are fully dissolved and small bubbles form at the edge of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg with a whisk or mixer until frothy.
- Slowly drizzle a stream of the hot milk/coffee mixture (about 1 cup of it) into the egg, whisking or beating constantly.
- Gradually add the egg mixture back into the remaining hot milk/coffee mixture in the saucepan, whisking as you go.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon--roughly 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer into a glass jar and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled--at least 2 hours.
- Add Kahlua, cover, and shake the jar to mix thoroughly.
- If there are any little "chunks" from the egg, strain through a fine mesh strainer before freezing the ice cream.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.