Recipe by mayafamcook
"A traditional pumpkin pie...with a kick. I took my old faithful recipe, looked in my pantry and saw some kahlua and thought 'what the heck'...it got rave reviews. The kahlua intensives the maple flavor...adds some depth. It's not in your face kahlua flavor...but I'm sure you could add a little more if you wanted to! This is a brand new recipe...so I WELCOME any comments/suggestions
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or 2 tsp. cinnamon)
- 2⁄3 cup butter (or butter flavored shortening)
- 5 -7 tablespoons ice water
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (29 ounce) canlibby's solid pack pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (I only used 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 (13 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua, i tasted at this point and thought it was good (or more ,)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor combine your dry ingredients including spices. Pulse a few times to mix. (You don't have to add the spices, but I like to flavor my crusts to match what it's holding -- kinda kicks up the pie.) You can taste it at this point to decide if it needs more spices -- depends on personal preference.
- Add fat in cubes and pulse until you have coarse crumbs.
- Add your water 1 tbl. at a time. Pulse just until the dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed.
- Shape into a flattened ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minute or until you are ready for it.
- On a lightly floured surface and roll from center to edge into an 11 inches circle.
- Fold it in half and carefully place in the pie dish. Do not stretch or it will shrink in the oven. Trim (or do a fancy edge) Set aside and mix up filling.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Mix all ingredients together in the order listed.
- Divide between the 2 shells
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes
- Lower heat to 350 and bake for an add'l 45 minutes or until the center is set and toothpick comes out clean
- Cool completely.