Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this delicious, decadent recipe in the Chicago Sun Times. These bars won first place at the Iowa State Fair in 2001 in the Cookies, Bar Cookies, Three Layer Bar category for Nancy Gabriel of Johnston, Iowa.
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with parchment, letting two opposite ends hang slightly over sides of pan.
- For crust, in a large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, butter and pecans, mix well.
- Pat into bottom of prepared pan.
- For filling, in sauce pan, melt chocolate, shortening and butter.
- Remove from heat and stir until smooth and slightly cooled.
- Beat in sugars and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in Kahlua, flour and salt.
- Add pecans. Pour over crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or till fudgy--Do not overbake.
- For frosting, beat together butter, Kahlua, confectioners sugar and milk.
- Add more Kahlua if necessary to achieve spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cake, either in the pan or lifted out by the parchment paper handles.
- Let frosting set.
- Slice into bars. Refrigerate.
Just like a special dessert at a fine restaurant! I served this to guests, and the "ums", "yums", and "oh mys" went on so long, I was a little embarassed. These people acted like they were getting a full body massage! This dessert is truly that delicious. This would be perfect on a dessert table at a buffet. Thanks Hey Jude for such a divine recipe!