Recipe by Charlotte J
You can prepare as directed. Cover and chill up to 2 days. Then serve as directed.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This dessert is really delicious and so easy to make. Made as directed and they came out perfect. These custards would be a perfect romantic dessert for a special dinner such as an anniversary or holiday. Any berry would work for this dessert and I especially love the idea of the grated chocolate on top. Will definitely keep this recipe handy.
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua (coffee-flavored liqueur)
- grated bittersweet chocolate (optional)
- fresh berries, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degree
- Bring milk and cinnamon to boil over medium heat in saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a 4-cup glass measure.
- Discard cinnamon.
- Arrange eight espresso or 4-ounce ovenproof cups in a roasting pan.
- Beat yolks and sugar in mixer bowl on medium speed, until mixture is pale yellow and thick, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add Kahlua and beat until well combined.
- Gradually stir in milk with rubber spatula, until mixture is completely smooth.
- Strain milk mixture through a sieve into glass measure, discard any foam.
- Divide mixture into each cup (spoon off any remaining foam).
- Add enough hot water to roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of cups.
- Loosely cover pan with foil.
- Bake until the edge of the custards are set, 25 to 27 minutes (the centers will be jiggly).
- Remove cups from the water and cool on wire rack to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle tops with grated chocolate and serve with berries, if desired.