Recipe by the_cookie_lady
This comes from Emeril Lagasse and was found on foodnetwork.com. I am not a real "flan" kind of person, but this sounds pretty good.
Top Review by Brett Gentry
I make this all the time for family and friends. My brother-in-law can't get enough of this stuff. Instead of two tablespoons of Kahlua, I use three. Also, it's good with Bailey's Irish Cream, a dark rum, and a dark amaretto. I use glass and porcelain dishes for baking it, as I've found that it turns out smooth and creamy. Metal dishes somehow make the texture different. For the sugar, I do it straight, and I use a small, very heavy bottomed stainless steel skillet. Swirl the sugar by lifting and turning the pan, and don't let the sugar boil.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua or 2 tablespoons other coffee-flavored liqueur
- mexican chocolate (to garnish) (optional)
- cocoa powder (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat until it starts to melt. Lower the heat and cook until caramelized to a golden brown. (Do not stir or touch the sugar, but swirl the pan to melt evenly.)
- Pour into a metal flan mold or 9-inch cake pan. Turn the dish and swirl to evenly coat the bottom. Let caramel cool and harden.
- Place the dish in a larger roasting pan and add hot water to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the condensed and evaporated milks and Kahlua and whisk well to blend. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until set and just firm in the center but still jiggles slightly, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, run a thin sharp knife around the rim of the flan. Place a platter or large plate on top of the flan and gently flip over so the plate is on the bottom. Lift away the mold. Garnish with powdered cocoa and top with Mexican chocolate shavings.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.