Recipe by the_cookie_lady
This uses a 1/2 c Kahlua liquer in the topping! It sounds so delicious. It comes from "The Joy of Cookies" by Sharon Tyler Herbst. The author suggests using pecans in place of the coconut if you are not a fan of coconut. Prep time is a guess. Some ingredients are listed more than once and in different quantities because the first time is for the cookies base, and the second is for the topping.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Kahlua (any coffee liquer will work)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons additional Kahlua (optional)
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- To prepare cookie base: In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add flour 1/2 c at a time, blending well after each addition. Stir in pecans. Spread evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.
- To prepare topping: In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, coffee powder and salt until light. Beating constantly at medium-high speed, add sugars 1/4 c at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to high; continue beating until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in bowl when beaters are lifted, 5 to 10 minutes. With mixer running at medium speed, gradually add 1/2 c Kahlua, then flour and baking powder; beat only until combined. Fold in coconut. Pour evenly over partially baked crust.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven. If desired, drizzle remaining 2 tbl Kahlua. Return to oven; bake an additional 5 minutes or until top is set and evenly browned. Coo in pan on rack. Dust cooled cookies with powdered sugar. Cut into 48 (about 1 1/2") squares, cutting 6 strips one way and 8 strips the other way. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for longer storage.