Recipe by Chef Cassady
Dense chocolate Kahlua cupcakes with a Kahlua candy center topped with coffee flavored buttercream icing.
- 2 cups flour (448 grams)
- 2 cups sugar (448 grams)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (1 gram)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (112 grams)
- 1⁄4 cup water (120 ml)
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua (120 ml)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (112 grams)
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature (240 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda (6 grams)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 16 kahlua liqueur-filled chocolates, by Turin
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease or line two cupcake pans. Preheat oven to 350°F In mixer, combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Melt chocolate with butter, Kahlua and water Add melted chocolate mixture to flour mixture and mix lightly. Add sour cream, vanilla, baking soda and eggs and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into pans and press a Kahlua candy into each cake. Be careful that the candy does not touch the bottom of the pan. Cover the chocolate with additional batter, if desired. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cakes bounces back when pressed gently. Cool on rack 10 minutes and unmold cakes to cake rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Top each cupcake with the buttercream.