Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This rich and creamy frosting topping a devil's food cake is one of my birthday requirements! Years ago, my mom altered a basic frosting recipe by replacing half of the milk with Kahlua. It really enhances the chocolate flavor. This must be refrigerated but it won't take up room in the fridge for long!
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 (3 ounce) packetsnestle toll house pre-melted unsweetened chocolate (or baking squares, melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 egg
- With mixer, cream butter with milk, Kahlua, vanilla, chocolate, and salt.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar a little at a time.
- Blend in egg (doing this last gives the frosting a nice sheen).
- Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate.
This is a great tasting addition to any chocolate cake! I use it for the frosting on my chocolate Guiness cake and it really brings the whole thing together.
We love this frosting. The Kahlua is the secret ingredient so do not leave it out. I used this on chocolate cup cakes. What a hit. Thanks so much, Kitchen Witch Steph!
Superb! Easy to make and very rich and creamy. I used 1/2 recipe on an 8x8 pan of kahlua brownies. Everyone raved.