Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a thick, rich, mild chili. Use jalapeno to spice it up to your liking. This is low fat and high in fiber. Serve with corn bread, cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 -3 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 large onions, Chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 -2 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup Kahlua
- Simmer the peppers, onions, and mince garlic cloves in chicken broth for 10 minutes. (use enough broth to cover vegetables).
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and raw ground turkey then heat to almost boiling. Simmer another 10 minutes. (Add more broth, if needed, to simmer turkey in).
- Add oregano, cumin, salt and chili powder. Mix well and heat until boiling, stirring often.
- Add kidney beans and ¼ cup Kahlua.
- Lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add another ¼ cup Kahlua. Simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with cheddar cheese, sour cream. Serve with corn bread.