Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich and chocolatey with a hint of coffee and kahlua ... topped with a rich creamy frosting and you have the perfect potluck dessert ... or serve it with some vanilla ice cream for a company dessert. Cook time does not include cooling time for the brownies before adding the frosting.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 4 (113.39 g) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml Kahlua
- 29.58 ml instant coffee crystals
- 4 eggs
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 3 (85.04 g) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml Kahlua
- 7.39 ml instant coffee crystals
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 828.06 ml confectioners' sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- To make the brownies:.
- Melt together the butter and baking chocolate in a double boiler or microwavable bowl, stirring frequently.
- Pour into mixing bowl and let cool while you are collecting all your other ingredients.
- To the chocolate mixture, add the eggs and beat well.
- Then add the vanilla, kahlua and coffee crystals and mix well.
- Beat in the sugar, flour, salt and baking powder until well mixed.
- Scrape into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes; do not overbake or the brownies will be dry.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- For frosting:.
- To melt the chocolate squares, I like to use a 1 cup glass measuring cup in the microwave; stirring often and using short time periods.
- To slightly cooled chocolate, stir in vanilla, kahlua, and coffee crystals.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Alternately add sugar and chocolate mixture , beating until smooth.
- Add salt to taste (the saltiness should just bring out the sweetness, not overpower it).
- Spread over cooled brownies.