Top Review by mianbao
These are fantastic! I made only two changes in the recipe: I used pre-sliced almonds, and instead of anise extract, I used 1 teaspoon of absinthe, an anise flavored liqueur. The cookies did spread in the first baking rather more than I expected, but the flavor more than makes up for that. I would never have guessed that you could get this favor from coffee and anise. Thank you, Wendy, for wonderful cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar and melted butter.
- Add Kahlua and anise extract.
- Beat in the eggs and stir in the nuts.
- Sift dry ingredients together in separate bowl.
- Gently stir dry ingredients into sugar mixture until well blended.
- Cover and chill about three hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Shape dough into three loaves 2 inches wide and 1/2-inch thick.
- Place loaves well spaced on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until brown.
- Cool 5 minutes, cut in diagonal slices 1/2-inch thick.
- Arrange slices on cut sides.
- Bake 8 minutes each side at 375F until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.