Recipe by ChrisMc
This is a friend's recipe for Kahlua - it will make several bottles. The alcohol content works out to about 16% (32 proof). A note - this does need to steep for about a month, so if you're planning on making it, start early.
Top Review by she_isnt
I doubled the recipe- it made 4 1-L bottles. I am giving them as Christmas presents. I tried the mixture when I first made it and I thought it was okay, but I tried it again last night (after letting it steep 1 month) and it is EXCELLENT. I brought one to work for a close co-worker and she sampled it, and said it was delicious. Everyone at the office is asking for the recipe! I would recommend this recipe and will DEFINITELY make this again soon. I can't wait to see what the other people will think of their gifts. The hardest part was finding a good bottle. I went to Target and found this cool, resealable lemonade bottle and used that. I used clear bottles and kept them in my closet- dark and cold. I shook them up about every other day. It turned out GREAT. Thank you!!!
- 2 ounces instant coffee crystals
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 750 ml vodka
- 1 vanilla bean
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the coffe crystals in one cup of the water.
- Bring the remaining water to a boil and dissolve the sugar in it.
- Add the coffee to the sugar solution and heat almost to a boil.
- Add the alcohol and decant into dark containers (this makes 7-8 cups; a fifth (750 mL) is just over 3 cups, so about 2 1/2 750 mL bottles- or just double it, make 5 bottles, and give some gift bottles).
- Break the bean into several pieces and divide between the bottles.
- Seal the bottles tightly and let them stand for 30 days before serving.