Recipe by FloridaNative
Recipe found at http://www.chef4all.com and posted for ZWT6.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made half the recipe as posted. This was a great soup for a cool fall day and I have a carton for the freezer too! Excellent taste and low fat. Healthy because I used my own homemade low sodium, healthy chicken stock. Thanks for posting a keeper FN! Made for FN's win in Football Pool Week 2.
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 5 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 leek, thoroughly washed and thinly sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bouquet garni (rosemary, bay leaf, thyme and parsley tied together)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter and saute the onions, diced bacon and leek.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients except salt and pepper in the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer partially covered for 90 minutes.
- Remove the bouquet garni and season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve the cabbage soup and garnish with fresh parsley leaves.