Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Authentic Egyptian cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter (samn balady)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- powdered sugar
- Heat the samn balady until almost boiling.
- In seperate bowl, add the baking powder and the spices to the flour.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the hot samn balady and stir thoroughly.
- When the mixture cools (warm to touch), add the instant yeast to the milk with a teaspoon of sugar, then stir gently into the dough.
- Knead it for a short while, cover and let it rest for an hour.
- Shape dough into balls, then flatten them.
- Inserts nuts, honey, sugar, agwa (date spread), or other filling when you are making it into balls.
- Put them on a cookie tray and let them rest.
- Bake in preheated oven (345 F) until golden.
- Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before eating.
the directions tell you to add the nuts etc. they already told you to flatten it-the cart is before the horse
I followed this recipe exactly and it just doesn't work. I called my Mom to ask her opinion and she told me it doesn't make sense to use both baking powder and yeast. She said you either use one or another. I was brought up with Kahk but I know my mother has no exact measurements for it....she just makes everything by sight. I was hoping this would work, but it was quite bad.