Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Rathbun Restaurant in Atlanta, I have not tried this yet but it looks terrific
- 3 tablespoons maesri panang curry paste, 4 ounce can
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk, Aroy-d brand preferred
- 1 fresh lemongrass, stalk rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar, grated
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, smashed
- 6 whole dried cardamom pods, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves
Kaffir Lime Batter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon maseri curry paste
- 2 teaspoons fine chopped fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar, grated
- 5 1⁄2 ounces ice cold ginger ale
Shrimp And Eggplant
- 24 very large butterflied fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined tail on
- 3 Chinese eggplants, cut into 1 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch sticks
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, for dusting of shrimp and eggplant
- 6 cups peanut oil (for frying)
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade paper thin for garnish
- For the Curry: makes 12 ounces-3 ounces per dish.
- In a small saucepan add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Slow to a simmer for 1 minute. Take off fire and let steep for 5 minutes, strain through a chinois or fine mesh strainer. Reserve warm.
- For the Batter:
- makes 1 3/4 cups batter.
- Place flour, corn starch, curry paste, fine chopped Kaffir lime leaves, salt and palm sugar in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and curry is incorporated. Transfer to a cold stainless steel bowl and add ginger ale one half at a time whisking vigorously to avoid lumps. Keep chilled.
- For the Shrimp and Eggplant:6 each shrimp and 7 to 8 pieces eggplant per serving.
- Butterfly shrimp and cut eggplant sticks, lightly dust in cornstarch, transfer to chilled batter. In a shallow fry pot, heat peanut oil to 350 degrees. Place shrimp and eggplant in oil and fry until crisp, approximately 2 minutes or until golden, transfer to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- For the Assembly:.
- Heat sauce and mirror rectangular plate, shingle eggplant on top of sauce and top with shrimp. Garnish each plate with 2 pieces of cilantro sprigs and fine chiffonade of lime leaf.
- *These types of ingredients can be found at Asian specialty food stores and many supermarkets.