Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tried and true and good as can be with your morning coffee. I've had this recipe forever and ever (probably from the early 70's). Not sure who the source is, but it looks like a clipping from the side of a paper package of some sort (I think from a cake pan my mother had bought).
- Make topping first:.
- Combine brown sugar and flour; cut in butter to resemble corn meal. Add chopped nuts. Chill until ready to use.
- Combine and sift together the first 6 (dry) ingredients.
- Add shortening and milk and beat for 1 1/2 minutes or 225 strokes (can you tell this is an old-fashioned recipe. lol). (If using an electric mixer, use low speed until ingredients are blended, then beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes).
- Add eggs and beat another 1 1/2 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into well greased 8" square or tube pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the topping over batter, cover with remaining batter, and sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake in a moderate oven 350-degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes or until tested done. Serve warm.