My DF spent 5 months in Austria and misses the food terribly. So for our anniversary tonight I decided to take on the challenge of making one of his favorites. I searched and searched and found recipes and was completely lost on cheeses . . . hard to find some of those good European cheeses in the US. Finally I called up an old family friend who called her mother in Germany and came up with this recipe that my DF says is dead on perfect! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Hope you enjoy it too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine flour and salt.
- 2Create well in flour mixture.
- 3Add beaten eggs and water.
- 4Mix together and add water until batter is SLIGHTLY sticky.
- 5Using Spaetzle machine press noodles into large pot of lightly boiling salted water. (If you don't have a spaetzle machine you can drop strings of the dough into the water).
- 6When the noodles float to the top of the water take them out and drain on paper towels.
- 7Repeat the last two steps until all of your dough is used up.
- 8Brown your noodles in butter until they just begin to brown around the edges.
- 9Place your noodles in a casserole with cheeses.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until cheeses are fully melted.
- 11Stir and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kaese Spaetzle (Cheese Spaetzle)
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.4
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.0 g
- Cholesterol 285.5 mg
- Sodium 1331.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 32.6 g