Recipe by ktenille
My DF spent 5 months in Austria and misses the food terribly. So for our anniversary tonight I decided to take on the challenge of making one of his favorites. I searched and searched and found recipes and was completely lost on cheeses . . . hard to find some of those good European cheeses in the US. Finally I called up an old family friend who called her mother in Germany and came up with this recipe that my DF says is dead on perfect! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Hope you enjoy it too.
Top Review by nemokitty
I LOVE KAESE SPAETZLE!! When I was growing up, Mom would make this for me....my favorite dish. She would use swiss cheese and that's what I used when I made this. I used a spaetzle maker which my sister had bought me. Thanks for bringing back wonderful tasting memories.
- 3 cups flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water (or more)
- 1⁄3 cup butter (for browning noodles)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (cubed)
- 4 ounces edam cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and salt.
- Create well in flour mixture.
- Add beaten eggs and water.
- Mix together and add water until batter is SLIGHTLY sticky.
- Using Spaetzle machine press noodles into large pot of lightly boiling salted water. (If you don't have a spaetzle machine you can drop strings of the dough into the water).
- When the noodles float to the top of the water take them out and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat the last two steps until all of your dough is used up.
- Brown your noodles in butter until they just begin to brown around the edges.
- Place your noodles in a casserole with cheeses.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until cheeses are fully melted.
- Stir and serve.