Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
At the local Indian market, they have a small, vegetarian "cafeteria-style" lunch/dinner counter that we go to as often as we're able. One of my favorite dishes there is a yogurt curry with pakoras swimming in it. Pakoras are a snack made with, in this case, veggies dredged in a chickpea (besan) flour batter and then deep fried. I've been on the hunt for a good kadhi pakora recipe and found this keeper. Just don't use thick, Greek style yogurt like I did; you want more of a soupy consistency rather than what my photo shows. You can vary the veggies you use here. Try onion strips, spinach and even paneer, Indian cheese. Adapted from a recipe at http://www.indianfoodsite.com/. Enjoy!
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chickpea flour (aka besan or gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon freshly ground ajwain
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- oil (for deep frying)
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chickpea flour (aka besan or gram flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together in a large bowl the flour, salt, chili powder, baking powder, cumin, ajwain (or oregano).
- Add the water and beat to form a smooth batter.
- Add the chopped onion, potato and cauliflower to the mixture and gently toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large pan to 350-375°F/180-190°C, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 sec.
- Using a slotted spoon or a "spider", lower a scoop (2-3 tablespoons) of the battered vegetables into the hot oil a few at a time and deep-fry, flipping over once. Depending on how hot your oil is, you want to give it about 2 minutes per side, but watch that they don't burn. The end result should be crispy on the outside and medium-soft to crispy inside.
- Remove with the slotted spoon and drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- Beat yogurt and gram flour until smooth.
- Heat the oil in pan.
- Add mustard seeds, turmeric, chili powder and fenugreek seeds.
- Add yogurt mixture, bring just to a gentle boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent lumps.
- Add pakoras and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot over basmati rice.