1/2 Photos of Kadhi Pakora / Pakoras
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
At the local Indian market, they have a small, vegetarian "cafeteria-style" lunch/dinner counter that we go to as often as we're able. One of my favorite dishes there is a yogurt curry with pakoras swimming in it. Pakoras are a snack made with, in this case, veggies dredged in a chickpea (besan) flour batter and then deep fried. I've been on the hunt for a good kadhi pakora recipe and found this keeper. Just don't use thick, Greek style yogurt like I did; you want more of a soupy consistency rather than what my photo shows. You can vary the veggies you use here. Try onion strips, spinach and even paneer, Indian cheese. Adapted from a recipe at http://www.indianfoodsite.com/. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped potato
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chickpea flour (aka besan or gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano or 1 teaspoon freshly ground ajwain
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1Sift together in a large bowl the flour, salt, chili powder, baking powder, cumin, ajwain (or oregano).
- 2Add the water and beat to form a smooth batter.
- 3Add the chopped onion, potato and cauliflower to the mixture and gently toss to coat.
- 4Heat the oil in a large pan to 350-375°F/180-190°C, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 sec.
- 5Using a slotted spoon or a "spider", lower a scoop (2-3 tablespoons) of the battered vegetables into the hot oil a few at a time and deep-fry, flipping over once. Depending on how hot your oil is, you want to give it about 2 minutes per side, but watch that they don't burn. The end result should be crispy on the outside and medium-soft to crispy inside.
- 6Remove with the slotted spoon and drain thoroughly on paper towels.
- 7Beat yogurt and gram flour until smooth.
- 8Heat the oil in pan.
- 9Add mustard seeds, turmeric, chili powder and fenugreek seeds.
- 10Add yogurt mixture, bring just to a gentle boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent lumps.
- 11Add pakoras and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 12Serve hot over basmati rice.
Nutritional Facts for Kadhi Pakora / Pakoras
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.5
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.9 mg
- Sodium 133.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 12.9 g