Girl from India's Note:
This is an accompaniment with almost all khichdi (rice lentil combos) dishes or even plain rice. You can make adjustments to the basic recipe as per your liking. Eg you may add choice vegetables or pakodis (lentil croquettes)or few piece of papad (raw to boil with kadhi) or spinach and fenugreek leaves. The consistency of a kadhi should be thick enough to coat the back of a ladle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups slightly soured buttermilk (1 cup sour curd + 2 cups water)
- 2 tablespoons gram flour or 2 tablespoons graham flour (besan)
- 1 teaspoon wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or use whole)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 -5 fenugreek leaves or 4 -5 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole red chili peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger or 3 pinches ginger powder
- 1/2 red chile, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 2 pinches asafetida powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1Mix flour and butter milk well with a hand mixer or whipper.
- 2Heat the clarified butter in a saucepan, add cumin and mustard seeds, curry leaves, whole chilli and ginger allow to splutter.
- 3Add the buttermilk.
- 4Stir continuously adding crushed chilli, salt, sugar, turmeric and asafoetida and the mint/fenugreek leaves.
- 5Stir continuously till it reched boiling point.
- 6Simmer on low for 10 minutes till the flour cooks, stirring once in a while.
- 7Serve piping hot garnished with coriander.
- 8Note: 1.
- 9Kadhis have to be stirred continuously, till the curd mixture starts boiling to get a smooth and uncurdled texture.
- 10Once boiling starts,then it may be simmered on slow, to extract flavours to full extent, stirring occasionally.
- 12Kadhis may be made in advance (a few hours and not days) but do not temper the kadhi, just boil the buttermilk with the flour and the ingredients added after that.
- 13Heat the clarified butter and temper just before serving and heat the kadhi through before serving.
- 15Try and use the kadhi within a day.
- 17If the curds/ buttermilk is not sour enough, then add a few grains of citric acid to get the sour flavour.
- 18But do not use overly sour curds (stale), as this will result in the kadhi tasting pungent, not aromatic.
Nutritional Facts for Kadhi
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.8
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 199.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: