Recipe by Sandeep Godkhindi
A spicy Indian Chicken with a distinct flavour of Bell Pepper! Goes well with Indian Naan, Roti or even a Parantha! You can have it with French or Italian Bread as well Note: Spices are given keeping in mind international tastes. Can be increased as per taste
Top Review by LilKiwiChicken
My partner brought me a bag of hot Thai chili peppers, so when searching for a recipe I found this (maybe he was hinting that he wanted a good curry????). Having just completed an Indian cooking course I wanted to make this straight away. I used drumsticks instead of a whole chicken. I also upped the spices - using about 3T of ginger & 1T of garlic paste (tastes better if you make it yourself), 1T coriander seeds, 2 bay leaves, 6 cardamom, 1T each of coriander & cumin powders, 2T of garam masala, & the equivalent of 1 & 1/2 chili peppers. Don't think that the garlic & ginger paste will be overpowering, if you saute it on very low the flavour is very mellow. Before reviewing I checked with Sandeep to see whether the recipe as published was as he would have cooked, he has said that he toned the spices down for international tastes. I also used tinned tomatoes instead of fresh, as it is winter here now and the fresh ones are disgusting. Anyway, the taste was amazing, beautiful spices blending into a pleasant (but not overpowering heat). This is by far the best Kadhai Chicken I have had. I served this with raita & my tutor's chapati recipe (which I've posted on zaar). This is a fantastic recipe & I know I will make it again and again. (By the way, my partner & I fought over the last of the sauce - chapati wars!) Thanks for the amazingly fantastic recipe!
- 1 whole chicken, skinless & jointed
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil (approximately)
- 1 small onion, quartered and individual layers separated
- 1 tomatoes, separated
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves.
- Once oil is hot, add the sliced onions; fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry till onions are dark brown.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder and salt.
- Fry the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Fry the mixture till the you can see oil separating at the sides.
- Add chicken and mix well.
- Fry on high heat for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook covered.
- If the spice mixture is dry add little water.
- Keep checking occasionally to see that the spice mixture or the chicken does not burn.
- Once chicken is done add the quartered green bell peppers and fry for a minute.
- Add onion, quartered; fry for a minute.
- Add the quartered tomato and fry for a minute.
- The last three ingredients need to be cooked, but should not get mashed.
- Remove from heat and serve with your favorite bread.