Recipe by cookiecutter _
From Lite and Luscious Cuisine of India by Madhu Gadia. The listed serving size is 1/2 cup and counts as 1 starch exchange.
- 1 (2 lb) butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut squash in half. (If it's too hard, zap squash in microwave for a couple minutes to make life easier). Scoop out and discard insides. Cut into 1-inch pieces, rinse, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Add cumin and fenugreek seeds and cook for a few seconds until seeds are golden brown.
- Add chopped squash, turmeric, salt, coriander, cayenne (if using), and water. Stir, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 - 18 minutes until squash is soft to the touch. Stir occasionally.
- Add lemon juice and sugar. Mash squash with a large spoon or potato masher and simmer 5 - 7 minutes.