Recipe by grovinchicken
This is a excellent Tomato Salad , Perfect for hot summer days with Grilled Dishes. You can vary this recipe , try finely sliced shallots for the onion or even lime juice for the lemon, or add a teaspoon of dijion-style mustard to the dressing.Make this salad just before serving.This Recipe came from a fab Book called "The Best of India"
Top Review by sams1
Made this as part of an Indian themed dinner with lot of hot and spicy food. Used lime juice - but other than that, made as posted. Personally I didn't taste the salad - by the time I got to the salad bowl, it was empty! In our house, if a salad is eaten like that then it is a sure thing 5 star recipe. Thanks for posting.
- 2.46 ml cumin seed
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced onion rings
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml salt
- 5 large fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a small skillet over med-high heat.
- add the cummin seeds and toast stirring constanly for 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar ,and lemon juice until blended.
- add the garlic, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and salt to taste: toss very well.
- Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and mint, toss well, toss again, and serve.