This is a excellent Tomato Salad , Perfect for hot summer days with Grilled Dishes. You can vary this recipe , try finely sliced shallots for the onion or even lime juice for the lemon, or add a teaspoon of dijion-style mustard to the dressing.Make this salad just before serving.This Recipe came from a fab Book called "The Best of India"
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion rings
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Heat a small skillet over med-high heat.
- add the cummin seeds and toast stirring constanly for 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar ,and lemon juice until blended.
- add the garlic, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and salt to taste: toss very well.
- Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and mint, toss well, toss again, and serve.