Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a excellent Tomato Salad , Perfect for hot summer days with Grilled Dishes. You can vary this recipe , try finely sliced shallots for the onion or even lime juice for the lemon, or add a teaspoon of dijion-style mustard to the dressing.Make this salad just before serving.This Recipe came from a fab Book called "The Best of India"
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion rings
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Heat a small skillet over med-high heat.
- add the cummin seeds and toast stirring constanly for 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar ,and lemon juice until blended.
- add the garlic, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and salt to taste: toss very well.
- Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and mint, toss well, toss again, and serve.
Made this as part of an Indian themed dinner with lot of hot and spicy food. Used lime juice - but other than that, made as posted. Personally I didn't taste the salad - by the time I got to the salad bowl, it was empty! In our house, if a salad is eaten like that then it is a sure thing 5 star recipe. Thanks for posting.
This was excellent. I didn't have any cumin seeds, only ground cumin, so I just use a pinch or two. I added an extra Tbs of the vinegar and also subbed garlic powder for the fresh (shhh!). Will definitely make again, thanks!
Excellent kachoomber - pefect with any Indian meal. The flavours are perfectly balanced exactly as written. Thanks for posting your excellent recipe - I will be making it often!