This is a traditional Ukrainian recipe passed down generations in our family. It is one of my favorite recipes and is quite easy to assemble. There is nothing like it on this site. It is free of all things considered sweet and none of the fussy tomatoes that are sometimes called for in cabbage rolls. Here is our version. Cut down on prep time by making extra rice with supper the night before!
- In a small pot heat oil.
- Add bacon and onion.
- Cook, stirring over med heat until onions are opaque and bacon is soft.
- Add dill and salt.
- Remove from heat and add to cooked rice.
- Let cool, this is the filling.
- Remove and separate cabbage leaves from head.
- Cut out hard core. (each leaf can be made into 3-4 pieces depending on the size of the leaf -- this comes with practice).
- Grease casserole dish.
- Place 1 Tbsp of filling on widest end of leaf.
- Fold sides in and roll up. Filling should not be hanging out.
- Place in casserole dish creating layers.
- Combine water and oil and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover with lid or tinfoil.
- Bake in a 325°F oven 2 - 21/2 hours.
- You'll have to keep an eye on them to check that they don't dry out or turn brown. If they are turning color add more liquid. And bake till tender.
- Freezes well before cooking.
- *I like to place a couple of pieces of raw bacon on the top of the cabbage rolls before cooking. Also I have made 1/2 a head of cabbage into rolls and froze the other 1/2 of head whole, with no problems*.