1/1 Photo of Kachman's Sour Cabbage Rolls
This is a traditional Ukrainian recipe passed down generations in our family. It is one of my favorite recipes and is quite easy to assemble. There is nothing like it on this site. It is free of all things considered sweet and none of the fussy tomatoes that are sometimes called for in cabbage rolls. Here is our version. Cut down on prep time by making extra rice with supper the night before!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small pot heat oil.
- 2Add bacon and onion.
- 3Cook, stirring over med heat until onions are opaque and bacon is soft.
- 4Add dill and salt.
- 5Remove from heat and add to cooked rice.
- 6Let cool, this is the filling.
- 7Remove and separate cabbage leaves from head.
- 8Cut out hard core. (each leaf can be made into 3-4 pieces depending on the size of the leaf -- this comes with practice).
- 9Grease casserole dish.
- 10Place 1 Tbsp of filling on widest end of leaf.
- 11Fold sides in and roll up. Filling should not be hanging out.
- 12Place in casserole dish creating layers.
- 13Combine water and oil and pour over cabbage rolls.
- 14Cover with lid or tinfoil.
- 15Bake in a 325°F oven 2 - 21/2 hours.
- 16You'll have to keep an eye on them to check that they don't dry out or turn brown. If they are turning color add more liquid. And bake till tender.
- 17Freezes well before cooking.
- 18*I like to place a couple of pieces of raw bacon on the top of the cabbage rolls before cooking. Also I have made 1/2 a head of cabbage into rolls and froze the other 1/2 of head whole, with no problems*.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kachman's Sour Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.3
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 251.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g