Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Afghani dish that took some time to make but was well worth it. The combination of cumin and cardamom was new and wonderful and the addition of carrots and raisins made the meal tasty and unique.
- Place chicken pieces, onions, salt and hot water in a 5-pt saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- The chicken should be tender, yet firm.
- Remove and cool chicken, reserving stock.
- Remove meat from bones; use only large pieces for this dish.
- Cook rice in boiling salted water or cook in a rice cooker.
- When done cover until ready for use.
- To make stock sauce: Brown onions in hot butter and remove from heat.
- Add cardamom and cumin; mash with onion to form a paste.
- Add about 1 pt of the chicken stock; simmer for 5 minutes and taste for seasoning.
- Combine cooked rice, stock sauce and chicken; place in a buttered casserole; place carrots on top of mixture and sprinkle with raisins.
- Cover and cook for about 35 to 45 minutes in a very moderate oven (325°F).
- Add more stock or water if dish becomes too dry.
- When done, mix carrots and raisins lightly with chicken and rice.
- Stock not used in the main dish can be served as a soup course.