3 hrs 20 mins
Michelle Kasper's Note:
Afghani dish that took some time to make but was well worth it. The combination of cumin and cardamom was new and wonderful and the addition of carrots and raisins made the meal tasty and unique.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs chicken, cut up
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 pints hot water
- 1/2 lb long grain rice
- 1Place chicken pieces, onions, salt and hot water in a 5-pt saucepan.
- 2Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- 3The chicken should be tender, yet firm.
- 4Remove and cool chicken, reserving stock.
- 5Remove meat from bones; use only large pieces for this dish.
- 6Cook rice in boiling salted water or cook in a rice cooker.
- 7When done cover until ready for use.
- 8To make stock sauce: Brown onions in hot butter and remove from heat.
- 9Add cardamom and cumin; mash with onion to form a paste.
- 10Add about 1 pt of the chicken stock; simmer for 5 minutes and taste for seasoning.
- 11Combine cooked rice, stock sauce and chicken; place in a buttered casserole; place carrots on top of mixture and sprinkle with raisins.
- 12Cover and cook for about 35 to 45 minutes in a very moderate oven (325°F).
- 13Add more stock or water if dish becomes too dry.
- 14When done, mix carrots and raisins lightly with chicken and rice.
- 15Stock not used in the main dish can be served as a soup course.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kabuli Palau
Serving Size: 1 (537 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 2501.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 38.6 g