Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
I was macrobiotic for a few years in the mid 2000′s. Kabocha squash cooked with adzuki beans is their staple dish and I used to eat that all the time along with cooked brown rice. The other day I thought I should try making a soup version of this dish, and here is what I came up with. For more healthy gluten-free recipes, please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com.
- In a medium size pan, place adzuki beans and cover with enough water. Bring it to boil, turn off heat and drain.
- Add about 3 times the amount of water as beans and cook for 50 – 60 minutes until the beans are soft. (If you have a pressure cooker, it only takes about 13 – 15 minutes under pressure). Drain the water.
- In a soup pot, put onion, kabocha squash and sweet potato. Cover with enough water and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Puree the vegetables using a blender, food processor or hand blender. Add salt.
- Serve with cooked adzuki beans and chopped parsley on top.