Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fritters are very popular in the Middle East. They are eaten hot or at room temperature as a vegetable side dish or a meze. It couldn’t be simpler to make, but you can dress it up with optional garnishes of black olives, tomatoes, or hard-boiled egg. The perfect use for small, sweet new zucchini. Serve alone or with a creamy garlic-lemon yogurt sauce for a perfect complement to any spicy or grilled foods that call for a cooling accompaniment.
- 453.59 g zucchini
- 118.29 ml chopped green onion (spring)
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 118.29 ml fresh dill, chopped
- 59.16 ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 118.29 ml kasseri cheese, grated or 118.29 ml feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil, for frying
- Grate the zucchini and place in a colander; sprinkle with salt and let drain for 30 minutes; squeeze out moisture and pat with paper towels.
- Place the zucchini in a bowl and add the green and yellow onions, dill, parsley, cheese, eggs, flour and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, pour in oil to a depth of ¼ inch; when the oil is hot, drop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into the pan (or form into small patties), allow space in between fritters; fry for 2 minutes on the fist side, then turn to brown on the second side for about 3 minutes; using a slotted spatula transfer to paper towels or newspaper to drain; repeat with remaining batter.
These are really good. The first batch I cooked off were ok...and then I noticed I hadn't added the cheese. I did add quite a bit of salt, but I will make again. They also didn't raise my sugars, which is a huge plus. Oh, and I added more onion, green onion, fresh parsley, and some swiss chard just to use up more produce from the garden...just chopped it all up well.
Outstanding! I'm not a very big fan of zucchini but I absolutely love there little morsels of deliciousness. The feta cheese definitely makes it stand out. I can't wait to make it again. Thank you very much!
This was very good! I didn't have any feta or kasseri cheese, so I used mozzarella. I also added more onion. This is also very good served with garlic mayonnaise (aioli.) Yummo!