Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Dutch cheese sandwiches
- edam cheese or gouda cheese
- 6 slices bread, crust trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Blend butter and mustard, spread on all pieces of bread.
- Cover 3 slices of bread with sliced cheese.
- Cover with other slice of bread.
- Mix remaining ingredients and dip sandwiches in mixture.
- Fry sandwiches in butter til golden brown on each side.
What a nice change for my lunch..I only used 4 slices of bread so cut down the butter and mustard by a little. I used dijonaise and edam cheese...added 1/4 cup of milk to the egg and that worked out fine.
These made an quick, light, easy and delicious lunch. I think the secret is to use good quality bread. I was a little timid about the mustard and used the mildest we had. In retrospect, I think something a little stronger would have been better. Nevertheless, they were delicious and while this recipe would work with most cheeses, I recommend trying it with Gouda.