Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Kaandha Poha is a traditional Indian (Maharashtrian) snack or vegetarian main dish that has several variations. In some orthodox families, this is a breakfast speciality! Poha = beaten rice
- 1 cup beaten rice (poha)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Urad Dal (split black gram)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 green chili pepper, slit lengthwise
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled,diced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
- Soak poha in enough water to cover (NOT the 2 tablespoons of water) for 5 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze out excess water, working in batches of handfuls.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the mustard seeds, Urad dal, turmeric, and slit green chili.
- When the mustard seeds start to sputter, add the onion and potato and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and 2 tablespoons of water, and cover.
- After 5 minutes, uncover, add the poha and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame add the lime juice and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot.
Anu, I'm sorry I didnt like the way this turned out. I made it exactly as per the instructions. It was more like a khichdi than poha. I suggest you make the following changes and try it. Use 1 1/2 tbsps. oil, 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder(1/8th tsp was too little), 1 stalk of curry leaves, 1 more green chilli,slit lengthwise, Juice of 1 full lemon, 2 onions and 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds. The rest stick to the ingredients in your recipe. I did not like the idea of split black gram in this, so, I'll omit that next time when I try this again. Follow it along the lines of my Tomato Poha recipe and let me know how it turns out.