K-Jon Chef's Note:
I have been making this dish for Christmas Eve for about 17 years. I did skip a year and got yelled at by the elders who "waited all year" to eat it. It is rich and spicy and very much my tastes. I hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs tripe
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon thyme, dry
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 1 onion, large quartered
- 1 garlic, whole (not peeled)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups onions (chopped)
- 4 cups bell peppers (chopped)
- 3 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (Crushed with by hand)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup calamata olive (pitted& Chopped) (optional)
- 1/2 cup capers (optional)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (optional)
- 1 lb ham (cubed)
- 1 -2 smoked ham hock (add meat & remove bone & fat when done)
- 1Boil Tripe in a broth of the following for 6 hours:.
- 23 gallons water.
- 31 tablespoon of each of the following: crush red pepper, thyme, paprika,.
- 4granulated garlic, onion powder, parsley, caraway seeds.
- 51 bottle of white wine.
- 61 onion ¼ er’d, 1 bulb garlic, ½ cup salt.
- 7Remove tripe and rinse well, remove garlic bulb and save for stew,.
- 8Reserve 1 quart of strained broth for stew. ( add to taste! very spicy).
- 9When cool, rinse again & cut tripe in ½”X 2” pieces set aside.
- 11Sautee all of the following for 15 minutes on mid-high heat:.
- 121 stick butter.
- 134 cups onion (chopped).
- 144 cups bell pepper (chopped).
- 153 cups celery (chopped).
- 162 tablespoons minced garlic.
- 17Add all of the following and stew for 4 hours:.
- 182- 28oz. can whole tomatoes (Crushed with by hand).
- 191- 28oz. can crushed tomatoes.
- 201 tbs. each: Parsley, Basil, Thyme, Oregano, cayenne pepper.
- 212 Bay Leaves, 2 tbs. sugar,.
- 221 cup calamata olives (pitted& Chopped), ½ cup capers.
- 2312 oz. Ham (cubed) (I like Black Forest).
- 242 smoked Ham Hocks ( add meat & remove bone & fat when done).
- 25Add the following and cook 1 hour more:.
- 26Tripe, Boiled Garlic (pealed), and reserve broth.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for K-Jon's Tripe Creole
Serving Size: 1 (955 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.7
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 323.7 mg
- Sodium 6797.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 43.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock