Prep 7 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
I have been making this dish for Christmas Eve for about 17 years. I did skip a year and got yelled at by the elders who "waited all year" to eat it. It is rich and spicy and very much my tastes. I hope you enjoy.
- 5 lbs tripe
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon thyme, dry
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 750 ml dry white wine
- 1 onion, large quartered
- 1 garlic, whole (not peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 cups onions (chopped)
- 4 cups bell peppers (chopped)
- 3 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (Crushed with by hand)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup calamata olive (pitted& Chopped) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup capers (optional)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (optional)
- 1 lb ham (cubed)
- 1 -2 smoked ham hock (add meat & remove bone & fat when done)
- Boil Tripe in a broth of the following for 6 hours:.
- 3 gallons water.
- 1 tablespoon of each of the following: crush red pepper, thyme, paprika,.
- granulated garlic, onion powder, parsley, caraway seeds.
- 1 bottle of white wine.
- 1 onion ¼ er’d, 1 bulb garlic, ½ cup salt.
- Remove tripe and rinse well, remove garlic bulb and save for stew,.
- Reserve 1 quart of strained broth for stew. ( add to taste! very spicy).
- When cool, rinse again & cut tripe in ½”X 2” pieces set aside.
- Sautee all of the following for 15 minutes on mid-high heat:.
- 1 stick butter.
- 4 cups onion (chopped).
- 4 cups bell pepper (chopped).
- 3 cups celery (chopped).
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic.
- Add all of the following and stew for 4 hours:.
- 2- 28oz. can whole tomatoes (Crushed with by hand).
- 1- 28oz. can crushed tomatoes.
- 1 tbs. each: Parsley, Basil, Thyme, Oregano, cayenne pepper.
- 2 Bay Leaves, 2 tbs. sugar,.
- 1 cup calamata olives (pitted& Chopped), ½ cup capers.
- 12 oz. Ham (cubed) (I like Black Forest).
- 2 smoked Ham Hocks ( add meat & remove bone & fat when done).
- Add the following and cook 1 hour more:.
- Tripe, Boiled Garlic (pealed), and reserve broth.
This sounds pretty close to the recipe I use. I have been making tripe creole for many years and my family just loves it (with the exception of some of the younger ones who only know "fast food" lol)