Recipe by K-Jon Chef
I got this recipe from a cookbook by Frank Davis a Chef from New Orleans. I have doctored it up over the years to suit my tastes. I hope you enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs andouille sausages or 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage, diced large
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cubed (I like dark meat best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped with leaves
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped or 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley (reserve)
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, green end only (reserve)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined raw (Optional, reserve)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.) Brown the sausage till crisp, remove and set aside.
- 2.) Brown the chicken in sausage oil, remove and set aside.
- 3.) Saute your Holy Trinity (peppers, celery and onion) 5minutes.
- 4.) Add dry spices and cook 5 minutes more.
- 5.) Add meat, tomatoes, rice and stock and bring to a simmer.
- 6.) Now you can cover and cook on stove top for 1 hour or transfer to a 10 X15 glass pan cover with foil and cook 1 hour.
- 7.) If you want to add shrimp do it at minute 45 and cook for 15 more minutes.
- 8.) Now add Fresh Parsley and scallions and fold into rice mixture and serve with ice cold beer!