Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Something a little different
- 24 lean chicken wings
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup oil
- Thoroughly whisk together the dark brown sugar, chili powder, sweet smoked paprika, ground cumin, hot cayenne pepper, ground garlic powder, ground mustard powder, table salt, and black pepper.
- Evenly coat each chicken wing with the pure vegetable oil.
- With the dry rub in a shaker evenly coat chicken generously.
- Evenly coat with the seasonings and save remaining seasoning.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook 30-45 minutes or until desired texture is achieved.
- At about the half way baking marker, sprinkle the remaining seasonings over the top of the baking chicken.
Not sure what the others are talking about with it needing more salt, if you are using Kosher salt not table salt it's perfect. <br/><br/>These are the best wings I have ever had.
Not bad, but I agree with the other commenter that it needed more salt, maybe even less brown sugar. Also, some onion powder would have helped. The smoked paprika was interesting, I never realized how strong that stuff is.
I wanted to love these, and I'm trying to work out why I didn't. I'm not sure these need cumin. I agree with reviewer who said onion powder would be good. Smoked paprika is strong but gives a kind of barbeque flavor. If I do these again, I may try adding dry ranch dressing mix to tone them down a bit. I'll give a 1/2 star more for it being a non-fried, dry rub recipes as opposed to wet ones.