Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I am a big fan of Chef Frank Davis. In New Orleans, where I grew up, he is a legend. I used his recipe and tweaked it to my tastes. Please enjoy.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, diced fine
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped (end to end)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced fine
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced fine
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef, lean
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 lb chicken liver, chopped well
- 1⁄4 lb chicken gizzard, cooked tender and chopped well
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon louisiana hot sauce (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups cooked rice
- melt butter until it starts to brown.
- add all vegetables, cook until slightly wilted.
- Turn heat up and add meat until brown completely.
- add chicken stock, hot sauce and kitchen Bouquet, season with salt and pepper.
- Slightly over season because this is the only seasoning the rice wil get.
- Turn down heat and cover, 20 minutes or until tender.
- strain mixture and reserve liquid.
- gently fold mixture into cooked rice until thoroughly blended.
- add reserve liquid to moisten the rice to the consistency you desire, I almost use all of it, maybe 1/4 cup left, depends on taste.
- For richest flavor let sit for 1 hour or over night for best flavor.