Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Finnish Squeaky Cheese - when eaten warmed, it squeaks. A favorite in the northern UP/Mich area - and among the Finns. My dad often, would take a cube and drop it in his coffee to heat the cheese. It's very mild.
- Heat milk to 90°F and add sugar, cornstarch, salt and rennet.
- Stir, and remove from heat.
- Let set until gelled.
- When set, cut in x's with a spoon until the consistency of cottage cheese.
- After cutting, let settle for another 30 minutes until they mat together at the bottom of pot.
- Drain off whey.
- Place the curd into a 10x12 cake pan and broil until browned.
- Remove and cool enough to flip curd over.
- Once you flip it over, you may spread with a little butter and lightly salt.
- Broil again, until browned.
This is delicious and tastes just like my grandpa used to make. I usually buy this in the store, because I thought it would be hard to make, but it was SO EASY. I looked last week and they were selling Juusota for $10.49/lb!!!! I definitely saved money making it myself. I used a cloth baby diaper to strain the curd from the whey, I tried cheese cloth, but the curd kept getting stuck. I could only find rennet in tablet form, so I used 1½ tablets. The recipe didn't state which type of milk, so I used whole milk and also added a can of evaporated milk.