Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
What could be more delicious than speatzle or sauerkraut? I'll tell you -- Spaetzle with Sauerkraut of course!!! This is the traditional version & is so tasty! Posted for ZWT 4.
- Fill a large pot with water, add oil, and bring to a boil.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Add salt, eggs, and water and beat the dough until smooth and bubbly. The dough should have a thick consistency.
- Fill a spaetzle press with the dough and squeeze into the boiling water (You may use a colander to push the dough through or a wooden cutting board and scrape dough little by little with a knife into the water).
- When the spaetzle float to the top of the pot, drain them. Place half of the spaetzle in a glass baking dish and add a layer of sauerkraut on top. Add another layer of spaetzle and sauerkraut. Cover the pan to keep the dish warm.
- In a separate pan melt the butter and add breadcrumbs just long enough to moisten them. Top the spaetzle with the breadcrumbs.
- Place in a preheated oven at 200 C for 15 minutes.
- This is also delicious reheated the next day with a little bit of butter.