3 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I stumbled upon a video of his tv show. "You know why de shicken cross de road, haaah? Really, to run away from dem Cajuns, I tell you dat right now, cause Cajun will eat mos' any-ting, an dey love to cook shicken." Cooking time is approximate since he says to "cook it a long time"...Id say 2 hours or more
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups cut up andouille sausages
- 2 -3 lbs chicken, cut into small size parts, including gizzards
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons louisiana hot sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sauterne white wine
- file powder
- 1"Firs', you gotta make-a-roux, you know dat".
- 2In a cast iron dutch oven, combine oil and ï¬‚our on MED heat. Stir the mixture constantly and slowly until it browns.
- 3"You cook dat til you tink, dat's gonna burn, but dat's not what it did, see y'gots to cook dat til it's like Dutch chocolate, y'see?".
- 4When the roux reaches it's proper, aforementioned color, you add the onion. Once that onion has cooked clear looking, add your garlic, and whisk in 4 cups of water.
- 5Next you stir in the worcestershire and hot sauce, and add your andouille sausage.
- 6Now it's time to add your chicken. "I put the pieces I like most of all, which is all the shicken, and the part what go over de fence last, I like dat.".
- 7Add your 4 cups of Sauterne wine, and 2.5 teaspoons of salt. Stir all this together and your gumbo is completed,.
- 8except for the cooking.
- 9" What you did with dis, now you cook dis today, an don' serve it today, no. You put it in you icebox tonight, an tomorrow, bring it to a boil an let it simmer for about an hour, an den eat dat, cause it taste more batter den, hoooo, it always does.".
- 10Whether you can wait until the next day or not, cook it a long time until the chicken is ready to fall off the bone.
- 11Serve it with hot cooked rice and offer ï¬�le powder to you guests.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Justin Wilson's Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.3
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 892.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 23.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: