Recipe by dawnie2u
My family loves this chili. For some reason, people do not always like kidney beans, but love other beans. I like to use all black beans, all pinto beans, or a mixture of half and half. This freezes very well, and is great with a nice corn bread and salad.
Top Review by linguinelisa
This is a really good chili recipe. I cut the recipe in half and left out the cilantro and it worked out fine. I decided to use a can of kidney beans and a can of black beans. The recipe didn't say whether to cover the chili while it simmered so I did and it thickened up nicely. Made for Bargain Basement cooking tag game..
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 29 ounces black beans, with liquid
- 29 ounces pinto beans, with liquid
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced green chilis
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 29 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 quart water
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef in a very large heavy soup pot, drain off fat and return beef to pot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally so beans do not scorch.
- Cook, stirring every 15 minutes, for 2 hours.
- Add cilantro leaves and serve, or portion out and freeze.