1/1 Photo of Just the Way We Like It Chili
2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Finally, after trying out an untold number of recipes, numerous tweakings, etc. The title says it all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 lb beef steak, in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 12 ounces dark beer (not a sweet beer)
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee (espresso preferred)
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 4 fresh hot jalapenos or 4 other chili peppers, chopped fine (with or without seeds to your taste)
- 1Heat oil in large Dutch oven or other stewpot over medium heat.
- 2Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and steak for ten minutes or until meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
- 3Add the tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and broth.
- 4Mix well.
- 5Add brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, oregano, cayenne, coriander, and salt.
- 6Stir again.
- 7Add two cans of beans and the chili peppers.
- 8Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until steak pieces are beginning to fall apart, uncovered.
- 9This can be done in advance, or even the previous day.
- 10Before serving, stir in the remaining can of beans.
- 11Simmer for 30 minutes, and serve.
- 12Extra-nice served with cornbread, and a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar on top.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Just the Way We Like It Chili
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.6
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 1451.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 31.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: