Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have made umpteen lemon pies in my past and many of them from scratch. However, I always go back to this one which starts with a lemon pie filling mix. The added lemon juice gives a very fresh flavor. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
- Combine pie filling mix, sugar and 1/4 cup of the water.
- Blend in egg yolks and remaining water.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend in lemon juice and butter.
- Cool 5 minutes, stirring twice.
- Pour in pie shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in 6 tablespoons sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff shiny peaks.
- Spread meringue over pie filling being sure to seal to the edge of pie crust and bake at 425 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is browned.
- Cool a few hours before serving.