1/7 Photos of Just Right Spinach & Chickpea Curry (Vegan) - Chole Palak
magpie diner's Note:
I called this just right because it was just the right recipe for the amount of time I wanted to spend on cooking it, and it has just the right amount of ingredients, mainly pantry staples so I wasn't scrounging around for substitutes. I found this on www.manjulaskitchen.com ... she has some fabulous recipes, very easy to follow. I made her parathas as well, best ever for me. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 inch cube fresh ginger, cut in half
- 1 fresh green chile (optional)
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any other light oil such as canola)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas (14 or 15 oz can, won't matter much)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)
- 1Pull out your blender, a small one if you have it, and combine the tomatoes, the ginger and the fresh chili if you are using. Puree until completely smooth the set aside.
- 2In a medium sized saute pan over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot add in the asofetida followed by the whole cumin seeds. Stir - and once the spices are sizzling, add in the tomato mixture. Be careful, it will splatter. Mix to combine - it takes quite a few stirs to get it combined so don't worry. Let that saute a few minutes.
- 3Add the next three spices, (coriander, chili powder & turmeric) as well as the salt. Mix that together and let it all mingle together over medium low heat for about 10 minutes. It will reduce down a bit and the colour will begin to get darker.
- 4Add in the fresh chopped spinach, followed by about 1/4 cup of water. Add up to 1/2 cup of water if you wish. Let that cook another few minutes and then add your chickpeas. You can mash some of the chickpeas with the back of a spoon if you like, it makes the gravy thicker.
- 5The last ingredient is the garam masala, add it in and simmer for a few more minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro if you like. That's it!
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Just Right Spinach & Chickpea Curry (Vegan) - Chole Palak
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.8
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1208.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: