Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rice milk seems too thin. Oat milk seems too thick. So I tried a combination of both together. I like the consistency of this mixture.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice (I cook a whole batch of brown rice, then freeze 1/2 cup portions)
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats (uncooked)
- 6 cups water (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Add rice and oats to 2 cups water. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add other ingredients while combination is still warm, so honey dissolves easily,.
- Blend together in a blender. Start at low speed, increasing speed to high gradually, until well blended.
- Add 2 cups of water (Can use ice cubes for part of this to cool milk more quickly), blending thoroughly.
- Have the remaining 2 cups of water (include part as ice cubes here too, if desired) waiting in a container.
- Strain the rice/oat mixture through a fine sieve. (I think the strained solids are a tasty small serving of cooked cereal).
- Add rice/oat milk to the water in container and shake well. This may be too thick for your liking. Just add more water until it reaches the desired consistency.
- (cooking time doesn't include time to cook rice before adding to recipe).
I was careful and it still burned. We didn't cre for it. I tried the recipe twice.
Sorry but I will stick with Rice Dream or one of the famous brands or try another recipe
Thanks for such a wonderful post! My children and I love this ,much better than anything on the shelves! I've made a fabulous chocolate pudding with it as well! I used Gluten Free Oats instead of regular oats for dietary reasons and was very pleased.
My husband liked this! I found that if I simmered it for 25 min, it burned. So, I simmer it for much less. It tastes wonderful.