Recipe by 3KillerBs
I live hundreds of miles from the 2, best, hot dog chili's I know of -- from western PA's Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe chain and from a little stand in the parking lot at the Lowes in Rehoboth, DE. So here's my version of the perfect topping for those hot dogs. I think I got it Just Right. But if you want it hotter go ahead and use 2 more cans of tomatoes with green chilis instead of the regular diced tomatoes.
Top Review by Krista Smith
This recipe makes a TON and I have it loaded up in my freezer (kinda nice to have a whole meal in there!). It is 'just right' as far as the spice goes and I could actually have used a bit more spice. Perhaps some Tabasco next time?
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground meats, making sure that they are finely crumbled, and drain off excess grease.
- Add all other ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally, 1-2 hours or until flavors are well matured and any excess liquid has been reduced.
- Package and freeze in appropriate-sized portions for your household.