Recipe by MrsKnox2016
Wow! This was so light, so tangy, so easy to make, I can't help but want to make this anytime I need some dessert. My sister used an old recipe from my grandma and took a few liberties with it, I'm so glad she did! I normally don't like orange essence in desserts, but I'll make and exception for this tasty treat.
Top Review by RockChalkChick
EASY TO MAKE! Adding orange zest/essence really makes it MORE than your average zucchini cake. If you omit the frosting, you can also make delicious breakfast muffins. Thanks for posting, Houseblend! ;) Update: I made the frosting using Kittencal's Recipe #187817, #187817. I omitted the vanilla extract and used almond extract, the zest of 1 large orange and a little bit of piping gel to stabilize. It was perfection!
- 18 ounces spice cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 orange, zested
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare spice cake mix with water, oil and eggs, adding in zucchini and orange zest (Make sure to follow the directions on the back of your spice cake mix package).
- Bake cake according to package directions in your favorite pan style.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, whip together room temperature cream cheese, orange zest, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Spread thin layer evenly over top of cooled cake. Cover and store in fridge until eaten.
- **I enjoy this without any icing at all, but think it would also be good with some whipped cream on top also.