Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simply rich Mac & cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half, hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- In 2 quart sauce pan melt butter add flour cook stirring til starts to look like cornmeal.
- Add hot half& half, add seasonings, stirring quickly with whisk.
- Add cheese stirring til cheese melts.
- Mix with macaroni in 2qt. casserole.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter, sprinkle over top.
- Bake 350F for 30 minutes.
I used skim milk, that's all I had, and mexican blend shredded cheese, and it came out spectacular! My super picky child mowed down on it and asked for more! There were no leftovers because it all went! Thank you. So easy to make!
This was very easy to make with few ingredients. I didn't have the half and half, so did the substitution of milk and butter and it was so good. I decided to try it with the bread crumbs and it was tasty the first day, but hard and chewy as leftovers. I will omit that next time; also, one of my sons was not a fan of the breadcrumbs. My husband who is a lover of the boxed variety actually thought this recipe tasted good. I will make it again.
I have tried many macaroni and cheese recipes on here and this is my favorite!!! I liked the idea of adding onions, so I did that. I also did not have any half-and-half so I did the milk/butter substitute. I also omitted the bread crumbs because I just wanted to get it in the oven!! I did add some extra cheese on top, though. Oh, and I also halved the recipe and it worked perfect! This was great for lunch and my 2 year old loved it! Thanks for the great recipe!