Recipe by ruthbomer
These are very good and taste very much like the original from the famous Tony Packos that we all heard about on the TV show Mash all the time.
Top Review by Kachup
Excellent job, Ruth! My wife prepared this for my sister (our family is Slovak, so we know our cabbage rolls), and it was excellent! Used a 5-qt crock pot, and one or two comments...first, you have the canned tomatoes mentioned twice...one 16 oz can w/juice should work fine. We actually used a 24 oz can, and the juice was too much, we had to ladle a little bit off. And, we felt the tomatos were a bit too acidic to taste, so we doubled the sugar. Fantastic! Overall, and excellent recipe! Thank you!
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 lb sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up and drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can campbell's tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) cancut up tomatoes, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook cabbage leaves until about half cooked.
- While cabbage is cooking in a large bowl combine eggs, 1/2 cup onion, garlic, 1 t salt, 1 t paprika and 1/2 t pepper.
- Mix meat and rice.
- Mix meat mixture with with egg mixture.
- Fill cabbage leaves and fold edges.
- Place in crock pot with seams down.
- Chop remaining cabbage.
- Combine chopped cabbage, sauerkraut, tomatoes in juice, tomato soup, sugar and remaining onion, salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how fast your crock pot cooks.