Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Just Like Panera's French Onion Soup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth, Swanson
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth, Swanson
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup crouton
- 1 ounce asiago cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add sliced onions and saute for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until onions turn brown.
- Add remaining ingredients for the soup to the pan and stir to combine. Heat soup until it's boiling, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a 1/4 cup croutons floating on top followed by a 1 oz of shaved or shredded Asiago cheese.
I'm sorry, but this tastes absolutely nothing like Panera's French Onion Soup. It is not bad tasting, but again, not even close to what they sell at Panera. Very bland and underwhelming flavor. Very disappointed, was really looking forward to this. Ended up throwing out the entire batch...
I will be using half the pepper next time, but otherwise totally delicious. So quick and easy to put together too. :) Yum!
This was a very quick and easy soup. It was just a tad bit bland so I added a teaspoon of Johnny's Au Jus to it. Then it tasted great! I used moz instead of the asiago, it's what I had on had. VERY good. And did I mention it was quick!?!?! Had it done in a half hour.