There is a fantastic restaurant in Springfield, MO where they throw the most delicious rolls at you before, during and after your meal. This is a copy cat recipe of those exact rolls. If you get the chance, visit the restaurant. If not, try these rolls anyway. They are so very good!
- Combine sugar and yeast in tepid water.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
- Thoroughly mix milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in the yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of flour, adding a bit more if necessary to make a soft, pliable dough.
- Turn dough out on floured board and let rest while you clean and butter bowl.
- Knead dough gently 4-5 minutes, adding flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and silky.
- Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (1 1/2 hours appoximately).
- Butter a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Punch down dough.
- Pinch off pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, (enough to fill one-half of muffin cup), and roll into smooth spheres.
- Place two such pieces in each prepared muffin cup- it will be a tight fit.
- Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap for 45 minutes.
- Bake rolls in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until light brown.
- Serve as soon as they are cool enough to throw.