Perfect for special occasions, but simple enough to make every night. Has a lovely citrus basil vinaigrette that goes well with this salad as well as others. Taste's just like the salad they serve at Dewey's Pizza in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 5 cups baby romaine leaves or 5 cups mesclun
- 1⁄2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3 1⁄2 ounces quality gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup candied walnuts or 1⁄2 cup candied pecans, halves (may purchase or make Candied Walnuts)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place baby romaine leaves in a salad bowl and top with sliced grapes, candied nuts and crumbled gorgonzola (if making your own candied nuts do this step first so they have a moment to cool).
- Whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, basil, dijon mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve dressing with salad.