Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has wide appeal. I love the consistency and the flavors. Enough spice to keep the grown-ups happy, enough sweet that the kids love it too. I've been making this for years, it is an old stand-by at our house.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup catsup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (e.g.1 kidney and 1 black) or 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (e.g.1 kidney and 1 black)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Brown hamburger with onion and pepper in a large pot or dutch oven. Spoon off fat.
- Add sugar, mustard, vinegar and catsup and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Let simmer for flavors to blend about 30 minute or place in crock pot on Low for 3 hours. Before serving, taste and adjust the flavors. Salt and pepper may be added, and sometimes I add more brown sugar.
- (I have also used 1 quart of home canned tomatoes in place of the diced tomatoes. I put them in my blender with the liquid and pulse a few times.).
- Leftovers freeze well!